AutoVoice Google Now doesn't work when using Event

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by Jason Steele, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Jason Steele

Jason Steele New Member

Hi, if I use the AutoVoice Event for the Tasker Context the Command isn't triggered. However if I use a State with the "Event Behaviour" checkbox ticked it does work.

This is only relevant to Google Now. If I start AutoVoice by long pressing the Home button it works fine,

Even though it doesn't work, I see the "Receiving possible commands" Toast and the Log records it.

I am using a Nexus 7, Android 5.1.1 and the green "You can use AutoVoice Google Now Integration" is displayed.

Obviously I can work around this by using a State, but thought I'd raise it as it's now supposed to be redundant due to the Event implementation.

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hi there.

Can you please
    - enable system logs in AutoVoice
    - clear logs
    - do voice command from google now that doesn't work
    - export logs and post here.

Thanks!

3. Jason Steele

Jason Steele New Member

I've spent the rest of the afternoon with it and it seems to be behaving correctly now nearly all the time. Looking at the Tasker Run log AutoVoice was always successfully triggering the Task, however it appears that sometimes there is no audio from the "Say" task. Also AutoVoice isn't stopping Google Now soon enough as it will start talking and then abort.
    I think this was the cause of me believing it wasn't working: the "Say" would not say anything and Google Now would still do it's thing.

I have put a 1 sec delay in before "Say" which helps, but Google Now is still having time to say that it's looking before being cancelled.

4. easiuser

easiuser Member

Just a note, I too have experienced the situation where Google Now starts giving search results before the AutoVoice profile starts. I have assumed it was a priority thing and Tasker gets the back burner when resources are tight but don't have any evidence. I have noted that the "possible matches" toast will come up immediately and then after some delay the profile will trigger. Hope this info may help identify the delay.

5. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

I've been trying to get Tasker to respond quickly for ages now, but it seems that Android gives Broadcast receivers (which are what these plugins depend on) a somewhat low priority, so I don't think there's much I can do unfortunately :( I'll still keep trying to find ways to speed it up. Just to check, if you use the "recognize" shortcut on your homescreen, do things run faster?

6. Jason Steele

Jason Steele New Member

Hi guys. thanks for getting back to me. It's good to know that I'm not alone with this issue.
    The Recognize shortcut (and home button long press) are both quicker. However, from a UX PoV, it's not really the speed that is the issue -it's Google Now butting in!

There are other config options to try, such as the one that kills Google Now immediately and AutoVoice always listening. These may be better for my use case as it's a tablet which spends most of it's time in a charging cradle.

The other thing is that it seems worse when the lock screen is activated and it's in the cradle than when its in my hand and unlocked. No doubt Google Now waking up the device is having an impact.

Hopefully in the future Google will allow apps to be launched in a more generic way other than having to have phrases with "Note to Self" or "Search" in them (or subverting accessibility!).

7. androiduser99

androiduser99 New Member

This delay you note is sometimes really bad on the Samsung S6! Sometimes as much as a 10-15 sec delay and very frustrating. The thing I find very odd is that consecutive commands always run instantly. Really hope the developer can find a solution for this. What device are you using?

: autovoice