AutoVoice Google Now fails on Android 4.4.4 ... ideas?

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by Craig Collins, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Craig Collins

Craig Collins New Member

Trying to get to the point where I can use AutoVoice and Tasker for voice commands in my car with an Android headunit running KitKat 4.4.4. Even before I install AutoVoice, when I try to do voice searches with Google Now it usually works the first time after I boot, but abends on all subsequent accesses. Ideas on that one?

As far as AutoVoice is concerned, after I install it, I cannot find the settings in accessibility related to AutoVoice and enabling the service. Not sure if the settings are hidden somewhere else or maybe not available in this KitKat implementation.

Any other ideas? Suggestions on how to use AutoVoice without Google Now, so I can send commands to Tasker? I don't think continuous mode is what I want since I want it to be waiting in the background like Google Now, not necessarily in Continuous mode with the beeps, etc and interrupting the music playing on the head unit.

Looking for suggestions that integrate with AutoVoice and Tasker. Works great on my Samsung S5 phone with Lollipop, just trying to get it to work on this head unit.

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

In the main AutoVoice app you should have a link to the accessibility services. Do you not see it? Thanks

3. Craig Collins

Craig Collins New Member

I see the link and click it. Where it takes me has no selection for any services on/off, unlike on my S5.

4. joaomgcd

Yes, sorry, then it must be something in the implementation of your Android build, like you mentioned.. Nothing I can do about, sorry!

5. Craig Collins

Craig Collins New Member

that's what I figured. Thought I'd ask in case you ran into something similar in the past.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  6. Craig Collins

Craig Collins New Member

I have it working now. We'll see if it continues to work. Deleted Google TTS, replaced with Inova. Installed the XPOSED Google Now API (v 1.6) and the XPOSED OK Google for 3rd Party, and added the OK Google Widget to the home screen on the Next Launcher. Turned on the AutoVoice interface to the XPOSED Google Now API. Google Now no longer crashes and AutoVoice Toast proves that AV is getting the command. So on to building Tasker Profiles & Tasks....

In case someone ever comes through here searching, I am using this with a HuiFei type Android Headunit. Mine is an RK3188 chipset 1024X600, JY brand. Rooted with a ROM from MALAYSK found through XDA Developers website, using steering wheel keys, Tasker, and now Google Now/AutoVoice.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  7. joaomgcd

Nice, thanks for letting me know

8. spod

spod New Member

Hello,

thank you very much for sharing. I have exactly the same behaviour you described in your first post. I have a headunit of Huifei type with RK3188 chipset, KGL brand, running Kitkat with display resolution 1024x600. I am also running a ROM from MALAYSK. I also had the same behavior with the stock ROM.

I was really clueless how to continue. Now I know.

Autovoice is working great on my S3 with CM12. No I am looking forward to transfer my stuff on my headunit in my car.

9. spod

spod New Member

Got it working without using Xposed Framework on my headunit in the car.

The accessibility services of Tasker, Auto Voice and Auto Input can be enabled by using the tasker plugin Secure Settings if they are not listed under system setting -> accessibility. I read about enabling accessibility settings via Secure Settings somewhere on reddit.com. I tried it, and it worked for the mentioned services.

Create a new task in tasker.
    Create a new action and select plugin secure settings.
    In the configuration for secure settings select System+ Actions.
    Select Accessibility Services.
    In the dropdown at the bottom select the service you want to enable.
    Tap the button below the dropdown box to set its state to ENABLED.
    Save and run the task.
    Repeat these steps for each service you want to enable.

To fix the crashes of the Google App I suppose deleting Google TTS was the solution in my case. At first I only replaced it with Inova but didn't delete Google TTS. I still had crashes every time I issued an Auto Voice voice recognition task. After deleting Google TTS I had no more crashes of the Google App so far. I am not sure about this because I also cleared cache and data for the Google App and Play Services after deleting Google TTS. But I did this also before several times without success.