AutoRemote Open Bash script on Ubuntu PC from Autoremote Message

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by krlanguet, Jun 24, 2015.

1. krlanguet

krlanguet New Member

Hi, I use a sleep tracking alarm that goes off at varying times and I want Tasker to be able to play music from my computer across the room when it goes off.

I have found a way to trigger tasks when the alarm goes off and I have written a Bash script for starting Spotify for Linux to play a certain song/playlist but I cannot get my phone to activate that script remotely.

Is it possible to do this with Autoremote?

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

you can do any ssh command with AutoRemote, so I think that should be possible :)
    Check this out.
    Hope this helps :)

3. krlanguet

krlanguet New Member

Thanks for the prompt reply. I've been working on this more today but I have been unable to figure out how to start a remote bash script with ssh commands. Instead I've been trying to run separately the commands I had in the bash script over ssh. I have been able to use ssh commands to open other GUI apps such as firefox and gedit without a problem over AutoRemote :)
    However, sending the same message for spotify:
    DISPLAY=:0 nohup spotify
    opens the attached error window, regardless of whether or not spotify is running.

I can start spotify and others from the terminal without a problem. I also have been unable to figure out how to execute the dbus command to begin playing a particular song/playlist etc. over ssh:
    qdbus org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify / org.freedesktop.MediaPlayer2.OpenUri spotify:user:_USER_:playlist:_URL_

If I can run my bash script remotely instead then neither of these issues will matter.

Attached Files:

4. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hi again

Sorry, but that seems to be a spotify issue. I have no idea how to fix that :) If ssh commands are working then it's a matter of finding the right scripts to run, but I'm afraid I can't help in that department :)

Sorry!

5. krlanguet

krlanguet New Member

That's alright, thanks for clearing things up!