Can't Fix Proxy, Firewall, Google Access Work Arounds on Chrome Desktop?

Discussion in 'Join' started by proxemics, Aug 5, 2020.

1. proxemics

proxemics New Member

Really love join, but unfortunately have a pretty strict work computer behind a firewall/proxy and blocks using personal Google accounts. So I'd caveat this post with assuming there is no real way around any of this, but was just curious if maybe I'm missing something.

I have found that that if I turn off my firewall I can get Join to connect and send notifications and am able to sign in to connect my Google account. Once I turn on the firewall/work network it stops working, even via local network connections. I do use my personal Google account in Chrome via this method, and it does keep my Chrome settings in sync, so not sure if there is something there where Join needs to keep authenticating or something to Google?

Anywho, I was curious if this could be solved/fixed with proxy settings for the Join app on Chrome? I'm already in over my head technically speaking here, haha, but was curious as I do use custom proxy settings in other apps to connect. Though, I think it might be more related to the inability to connect personal Google accounts when on the work firewall/proxy?

Or perhaps I am missing a potential fix via the local network settings? It sees the devices and shows them in the testing tool on Android, but can't open the link or anything beyond that - receives the link but cant open as I don't have network if not on the work network, but wont open on work network.

Figured I'd just ask and see as I really love the Join family of apps! No worries if not, I kind of assume it's a lost cause on my work network at this point. haha.

Cheers

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hi! :) Thanks for asking!

About it not working with the Firewall, it's probably because it's blocking Google's push system (FCM) which Join needs to work.

Just to see what we can do, does local networking work while the firewall is down?

3. proxemics

proxemics New Member

Thanks for the help!

It seems to yeah, if the firewall is off and I'm connected to my network, the notifications work (but no websites do).

4. joaomgcd

Ok, so if you make the devices work on the local network (and you see the little local network icon on them), when you turn on your firewall do those local network icons go away right away?

5. proxemics

proxemics New Member

Oddly enough, it seems it only connects locally (shows icons) when the firewall is on...

Just did some different tests and
    • firewall on: I can send pushes to my device from the laptop, but cannot receive them or authenticate on the join appspot site/link (this I assume is cause I cant use personal Google accounts, but sometimes I can turn off the firewall, sign in with Google, then turn back on and the connection holds, but not for this link, but it does hold for my join settings oddly enough.), shows devices as local connections
    • firewall off: can send and receive but they come through as just garbled text? the message/content is gone, does not show as local connection
    Thanks for the help/interest on this, but also don't hesitate to say it's a lost cause, lots of things are on this machine. haha.

6. proxemics

proxemics New Member

Also:
    Firewall on: diagnostic fails the receiving push from server and receiving push from GCM key section, but passes all others. ‍♂️

7. joaomgcd

Hhmm, that seems like an issue with encryption? Do you have the same password set on Chrome and Android?

8. proxemics

proxemics New Member

Oops, you're right about the garbled messages... Works now as notes to self. Apologies, seems I was confused on some of the behaviors.

Now with the firewall on I do not see them connected as local devices and the laptop still cannot receive anything from the mobile device. o_O

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  9. joaomgcd

But with the firewall off it does work on local network?

10. proxemics

proxemics New Member

No, looks like it does not show as a local connection with the firewall off (or on). ‍♂️

11. joaomgcd

Seems like we're out of luck then unfortunately :(

12. proxemics

proxemics New Member

No worries, kinda figured but just wanted to double check since it's such a great tool! Thanks!