Open Remote SMS from my Chromebook isn't showing on my phone

Discussion in 'Join' started by Kruger2147, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Kruger2147

Kruger2147 New Member

When I send a text from my Chromebook, it's not updating the messaging app on my phone. I'm not sure if the texts are actually being sent or not. I've double checked all of the permissions and accessibility setting on both my phone and Chromebook, everything looks correct as far as I can tell.

Pixel XL, Oreo
    Join 1.7.4b.bf
    EDIT: My texts are getting sent, people are replying. Now I know that the issue is when I reply from the Chrome extension, the SMS thread is not being updated on my phone.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  2. MBDdk

MBDdk New Member

Are you by any chance using a different SMS app than the stock one? At least this happens when using Signal and other apps that are sending SMS using data.

3. Kruger2147

Kruger2147 New Member

Yes, I was using the stock Google Messenger. The interesting thing, is I tried switching to a third party sms app (Pulse) just to see what would happen, and the messages I sent showed up. When I moved back to Messenger, they were still missing. I'm thinking that has to do with how Google Messenger handles the database.
    After some digging this seems to be a known issue, with no fix. https://joaoapps.com/join/faq/ (third question under Android)

4. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

5. Kruger2147

Kruger2147 New Member

Yep, it's updated.

6. joaomgcd

It's weird cause I use the regular Android messages app myself and the messages appear there with no issues.
    Is your device rooted by any chance?

7. Kruger2147

Kruger2147 New Member

No root, my bootloader is still locked. Messages just updated to version 2.5.211 last night, I tested it again with the same results. Sent a text from Join, Messages didn't see the new text. Switched my SMS app to Pulse and there was the new text, switched back to Messages, and it was gone again.

8. joaomgcd

It really seems like a bug in the Messages app :/ Is the app set as the default SMS app on your device?

9. Kruger2147

Kruger2147 New Member

I agree, it's probably an issue with Google Messages. Yes, when I switched between Messages and Pulse to for testing, I changed by default SMS app between the two.

10. Cristian Radulescu

Cristian Radulescu New Member

I use Pulse SMS on my Android 8.1 phone. I did notice that I try sending an SMS from Chrome extension and it doesn't show up in Pulse. I have no clue whether it gets sent or not...

11. joaomgcd

CAn you try sending a message to yourself and see if that works?

12. Cristian Radulescu

Cristian Radulescu New Member

Yes, I can confirm that I received an SMS sent through the Chrome Extension to my own number. All it would be left to solve for future releases is to make it also show up in the default messenger app.

13. joaomgcd

But that's a known issue with the messages app that I can't fix unfortunately, sorry!