Sending Intents to custom app from Tasker

Discussion in 'Tasker' started by Travis Elliott, May 7, 2015.

1. Travis Elliott

Travis Elliott New Member

Hey everyone.

So I put together an application which runs a background service all the time. I have a broadcast receiver in that service which listens for the broadcast action: com.controlanything.garageapp.IO_ACTION

On Tasker/AutoVoice I setup a profile to take a voice command and fire the intent with the extra COMMAND:ON. My service gets this broadcast about half the time when the command is spoken. The other half the time I see the toast on the screen from Tasker but my service does not receive the broadcast.

I set Tasker to do system logs and am monitoring for logs from tasker but not seeing much. Is there a log that is made when an Intent is sent? If so what tag does it use? I just need info to troubleshoot the problem. I do not know if my service is just not getting the broadcast or it is never being sent by Tasker.

Thank you

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Are you sure that the task is being triggered every time? Maybe it's just the voice command that doesn't match the AV command filter everytime. I recommend doing the following
    - in that specific AutoVoice Recognized condition, go to advanced and name that condition so that it shows up separately in the logs
    - clear logs
    - enable system logs
    -do command
    - if your service didn't get the broadcast, check the profile specific logs and see if the command wasn't matched

Hope this helps

3. Travis Elliott

Thank you joaomgd,

I actually figured out the problem was with my service. I registered a broadcast receive class and had it fire an intent service to make a network call to my device and it seems to be working now. I had started a Service with a broadcast receiver in it but for some reason it was missing broadcast intents. Not exactly sure why but it is working now.

On another note I purchased the full version of Tasker, AutoVoice, and AutoWear. However I am still unable to get phrases over 4 characters long to trigger. After purchasing the full version of AutoWear I no longer get the warning about 4 characters but the service is still not getting fired. If I change the phrase down to 4 characters it works every time, but as soon as I put in a longer phrase such as "initiate destruction sequence" it stops working. Any ideas on that? Does not seem to be working through AutoVoice or AutoWear.

For what its worth I will be using this to send commands to a WiFi relay controller to launch fireworks for a display from my Moto 360. I want to use the phrase "launch the missiles".

4. joaomgcd

Hi again.
    sorry to hear that.
    Ok, tough question but I have to ask since this is the number 1 reason why this would happen: do you have the Freedom or Lucky Patcher pirating apps installed? Or did you ever download any app of mine from somewhere else other than Google Play? More info here: http://joaoapps.com/faq/

Thanks

5. Travis Elliott

Hi joaomgcd,

All apps were installed through google play. Full version of AutoWear was purchased through the AutoApps application. Kind of a strange setup but it seemed to work. I have AutoVoice, AutoWear, AutoApps, and Tasker. All were installed through Play store.

I have never installed Freadom or Lucky Patcher, never heard of them actually. Phone is not rooted. It is a Droid Turbo running on Verizon network, Android version 4.4.4

Let me know what you think. I am still trying to get this to work but nothing yet.

Thank you

6. joaomgcd

Can you please try this:
    - clear logs (in an app that's not working, like AutoVoice for example)
    - enable system logs
    - wait 10 seconds
    - enter logs
    - wait 10 seconds
    -export logs and paste them here

Thanks!

: Intent, tasker