AutoWear Slow command execution

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by Jonni, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Jonni

Jonni New Member

Hi!
    Firstly I'd like to thank you for your amazing work. Your apps are essential to my home automation.

I control, among other things, the lights in my home with 2 persistent notifications with 3x 4screens each.
    The problem I'm having is that every time I trigger a command from my watch it takes a long time (3-5 seconds) to execute and sometimes doesn't execute at all. Subsequent commands execute just fine.

As a sidenote I should mention that it would be great if the activation zone for the 4screen buttons were a little bigger so they're easier to trigger.

Thanks in advance for any support you can give me!

P.S. I have experienced these issues with both a moto360 and an LG Urbane connected to my nexus6. I'd be happy to help test for a fix with both devices if needed.

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hi, thank you for your contact.

Does that also happen if your phone's screen is on?
    How are you controlling your lights? Is that with a plugin for Tasker?
    What do you mean exactly by "activation zone"?

Thanks!

3. Jonni

Jonni New Member

I just tested with screen on and the behaviour is the same. First execute is slow, subsequent executions are fast.

The plugin I'm using to control my Hue lights is called AutoHue. I use this plugin through autowear but also through tasker scenes straight from my phone and tablet. When using it from the phone it is very fast (just like through autowear after the first command exec).
    It doesn't just happen with the lights though. I have the exact same issue when triggering Unified Remote commands through autowear.

By activation zone I meant the area on each button that actually reacts to a button press. In the case of the 4screen the "activation zone" is smaller than each of the 4 segments which results in sometimes pressing multiple times to find the spot.

Thanks for the support! I hope that clarifies what I meant :)

4. joaomgcd

Thanks again

Sorry, I'm not able to reproduce the behavior you mention on the 4 screen. For me the zones seem to be correctly clickable... Maybe it has to do with the Android Wear version you're running. what version do you have?

About the delay, if you enable the AutoWear toasts in the app, does the command show up right away as a toast? Or does that have a delay too?

5. Jonni

Jonni New Member

Versions are: 5.1.1 on LG Urbane and 5.0.2 on moto360.
    With toasts enabled, the toast for the first command is as late as the command execution.

6. joaomgcd

What exactly is the "first" command? How do you make it have slower execution?

7. Jonni

Jonni New Member

For example: I haven't tapped anything in my persistent notifications for a while, open the 4screen and tap on a button. Then it takes 3-5 seconds for the toast to pop up on the phone.
    But if I press multiple buttons in a row after that they all go through very quickly

8. joaomgcd

Just to be clear, those persistent notifications are on your watch?

9. Jonni

Jonni New Member

yes :)
    It's a persistent notification (with customs screens) that I made with autowear.

10. joaomgcd

My guess is that the Bluetooth connection just falls "asleep" after a while when no communication is going on and then when you first do a command it needs some time to "wake up". Can you try enabling Screen Events in the AutoWear Settings app on your watch? That'll wake up the connection every time you turn on your screen. Let me know if it works :)

11. Jonni

Jonni New Member

Yeah you must be right.
    I actually tried a similar workaround and was about to post about it.
    What I tried: I added a "command on show" for every custom screen. The command does nothing but it wakes the connection.
    Your solution is more elegant.

Thanks for the excellent support and for the record: your app is what makes the difference between smartwatches being a gimmick and actually being useful. My hat goes off to you

12. joaomgcd

Great :) Thanks!!

13. A_Str8

A_Str8 New Member

Does enabling screen events have a big impact on phone or watch battery life?

14. joaomgcd

It has SOME impact although it may vary from device to device. Give it a try for a day and see how it goes for you :)

: Slow command