Solved SMS / Contacts problem with Chrome extension

Discussion in 'Join' started by anders, Mar 15, 2016.

1. anders

anders New Member

I've just set up Join on my phone, Nexus 5x, and the Chrome extension.

If I try to open SMS on the extension, it just load forever, with regular pop-up messages that no SMS are available and no contacts are available. I think the reason is that the account I'm using with Join is the 2nd Google account that I've logged into on the browser. (I.e. in e.g. gmail, /u/1/ is part of the URL).

If I go to the settings in the extension, and run the diagnostics, everything is green and looks OK. The account is the correct one.

Using the extension to locate the phone etc, works, as well as sharing links etc from the phone to the browser.

Thus I suspect that the issue relates to the order in which I've logged into the different GMail and Google Apps accounts. Unfortunately, there's a bug in another extension, that forces me to use this order...

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

3. anders

anders New Member

Thanks for the quick reply!

Well, that actually solved the problem for the web-interface. Though I have to select the account once when loading the side, and once when selecting the SMS tab.

However, the chrome extension just hangs when I select the right account (after selecting SMS). The diagnostics is still going through fine.

4. joaomgcd

So even after selecting the account through the regular web page, that account still doesn't get automatically selected when opening the chrome popup?

5. anders

anders New Member

Yes, that's correct; I've got to reselect the account when opening the SMS functionality of the Chrome extension.

The same is true when I use the web-interface, where I need to select the account once when I load the web-app, and then once again when I open the SMS page.

6. joaomgcd

And it never remembers what account you chose when you re-open the web and sms pages?

7. anders

anders New Member

Hm, yes, it's getting stranger and stranger...

Test: I just go to https://joinjoaomgcd.appspot.com/, and select the account to use. Next I refresh the page, which forces me to select the account again. (And it's showing med the default account again, which is the wrong one).

8. allofzero

allofzero New Member

Seconding the issue. I'm unable to select the correct Google account through the Chrome extension. I tried through the web app earlier this week and was able to switch accounts, though that doesn't seem to carry over to the extension or through refresh. As of today, neither the extension or the webapp allow me to switch accounts. They both load the popup to sign in to my Google account, defaulted to the wrong one (first signed in; necessary at work). Attempting to change the account brings up a blank oauth2 page, and the webapp or extension sit and wait.
    Also, thanks for this thread and your responses. Looking forward to resolution. It's a nice app.

9. joaomgcd

the extension and SMS UI can use different accounts, because the SMS ui is a separate webpage. About changing the account in chrome you can go into the extension settings and click the account icon to change it. Can you try that?

10. anders

anders New Member

Yes, when I click on my profile picture in the extensions settings page, I get to select which account I want use.
    Once again, I select my personal account; the diagnostics shows that the correct account is being used. I can see all the devices that are connected to this account,

However, when I try to open the SMS' in the extension, I once again get to select the account... And the wrong one is the default (i.e. the first account according to the browser). When I try to to select the right account, it just spins forever.

11. joaomgcd

Yes. That's expected. Can you please try this:

• sign out of your unwanted google account in gmail for example
    • go to the sms page and see if you login with the correct account
    • re-sign in with the unwanted account in gmail
    • check if the right account "sticks" in the sms window
    Thanks!

12. anders

anders New Member

Hi again,

Well, when I'm doing that it works as it should. The only problem in this case is that the "unwanted account", becomes nr2, (ie all new gmail and calendar tabs open in my personal account instead of the work account)... And a few other Chrome extension/apps gets a similare issues as I had with Join, though in the opposite direction.

As it seems that quite a few extensions has issues working correctly with a 2nd account (ie not the first account you log into), is that something that's hard to accomplish?

Cheers!

13. joaomgcd

Hmm, but I didn't mean for you to sign out from chrome itself, just sign out on a Google website. That shouldn't affect the account you had logged in to in the chrome extension at all... It should only affect the account you used on websites (which is the case for the SMS UI, it's a separate website). Hope this clarifies it

14. anders

anders New Member

Yes, I signed out from gmail, not the browser itself. Then I first logged in to my personal account. (I.e., when i just open https://mail.google.com, it goes to that account, and I've to use https://mail.google.com/u/1 to get to the work account).
    When I'm signed into my accounts in that order, it works as it should.

The drawback is of course, that opening new tabs from Google Apps defaults to the wrong account... As well as the Hangouts extension, etc...

15. joaomgcd

CAn you please try with the latest version? :) Made some changes to it. Thanks

16. allofzero

allofzero New Member

Seems to be working for me, now. Curious to hear how it's working for anders. Thanks for your hard work on this, btw. Good stuff.

17. joaomgcd

18. anders

anders New Member

Sorry for the delay (too much to do on work).

Yes, it looks like your last update fixed it!

Thanks for the work!

: Report