Open SMS messeaging randomly not working

Discussion in 'Join' started by pitastrudl, Apr 7, 2016.

1. pitastrudl

pitastrudl New Member

Hi, I cannot seem to use SMS messeaging time to time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Diagnostics says it's okay. I tried trough extension and webUI. Any suggestions how to troubleshoot?

ty

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

What exactly doesn't work about it?

3. pitastrudl

pitastrudl New Member

I cannot send sms from web interfirence or chrome extension, it just says that it times out or that it cannot check if sms was sent. Im using textra and galaxy s4 5.0.2

4. joaomgcd

Can you please run the diagnostics tool on both chrome and in the Android app and share the results here? thanks!

5. Gaff

Gaff Member

I'm having an issue with Join and SMS (also using Textra - maybe this is part of it) which may be related.

If I send a text through the Chrome extension, it's sent, but is not mirrored to my phone's text log in Textra. It used to be, but now it isn't. So on my phone, it's a lot of messages containing half of the conversation (the other person's), because the replies I am sending go to them via text, but aren't being recorded by my phone.

Diagnostics pass on both the phone and the Chrome extension. I even completely removed Join from both of them and reinstalled, but the problem persists.

6. pitastrudl

pitastrudl New Member

Code (Text):
    Getting account details... Success: Signed in with xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Testing registration on Join's server... Success: deviceId already existed. Updated existing device.
    Refreshing Auth Token... Success: This is a secret so don't show it to anyone: token: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Sending Push to server... Success!
    Receiving Push from server... Success!
    Receiving Push with GCM key... Success!
    Comparing GCM keys... Success!
    Testing popups... Success!
    and on android:http://i.imgur.com/IOWxuEk.png
    the only thing that wasnt working was location which i had disabled.

at this moment it works, i will post diagonists test when it will not work again. will also look at other factors such as connectivity wifi/4G

7. opofoon

opofoon New Member

I'm having a similar problem with sending SMS. If I leave my screen off (Nexus 6P) for a while and try to send an SMS, it will fail to send. I can receive messages just fine, but sending does not work until I turn the phone screen on. I ran the diagnostics while a message was failing to send and everything passed. I was having similar issues with Pushbullet (receiving messages/notifications but messages would get stuck on pending), so I'm not entirely sure where the problem is. I read a few things about GCM issues (TCP idle timeout) and installed a heartbeat fixer but that did not help. I turned off Doze for the Join app, and I also have the Join Accessibility Service running in the background. I am running the latest N preview build, but I was also having the same issue on Marshmallow.

EDIT: I ran the diagnostics on my phone and found that Receive Push from server and Receive Push with direct GCM Key would fail when my messages stopped sending. I opened my ports on my router and made exceptions in my firewall and still no luck. Everything is fine until I've left my phone alone with the screen off for about 10 minutes or so.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  8. joaomgcd

Do you maybe have an app that would kill Google Play Services or any of its services in the background?

9. opofoon

opofoon New Member

No, I am not seeing any apps that would kill this service in the background

I did, however, just find that WMM Power Save Mode was enabled on my router. After a little research this might explain the problem I am having, so I have disabled this option in my router and will report back later with results.

: sms