Open Tasker Custom Navigation Bar and Compatibility

Discussion in 'Tasker' started by Sharif Salah, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Sharif Salah

Sharif Salah New Member

Dear all,

This is my first post to the community. Hello to all and a big thanks to Joao for the incredible work he does on Tasker day in day out.

What things do we look for when buying a new phone? My answer is probably different to most. I want a phone that will support the Tasker Custom Navigation bar. Here's what it looks like on my current phone:

[​IMG]

and here's a video that explains what custom navigation bars are all about in case this is new

I could explain what each button does (some buttons do different things depending on how many times you press them) and why it's so useful, but my real point is compatibility with Android versions. From Android 10, such a custom navigation bar is not possible. Google broke it, and unfortunately it's not possible for our man to fix. Just as hard as Joao works to build, Google works to destroy!

It's a deal breaker for me. I prefer to stick with Android 9 forever than upgrade and lose this. Furthermore, even with Android 9, it's not guaranteed to work across all flavours of Android. Previously I was using EMUI 9 on a Huawei phone and pressing the custom navigation bar buttons triggered a dialogue asking me which app I wanted to open in. I selected "Tasker" and "Remember". The task ran, but guess what? It didn't "remember" and this dialogue appeared every time. I could never fix it.

My Moto G7 Power runs closer to stock Android 9, and I'm delighted with how it works on this one. This phone won't last forever though. I'm thinking about bagging myself a reserve Android 9 phone which I will 'upgrade' to when the time is right. I don't know how easy it will be to buy Android 9 phones in a year or two. I might even need to buy even more than one if the idea is to make sure I'm covered for phones for the rest of my life :)

I've identified a few phones (Asus Rog Phone II, Realme X2 Pro and OnePlus 7 Pro...open to other suggestions) that are all Android 9 based and have good battery life, however they do not run stock Android. So this still leaves me with some uncertainty. I don't want the EMUI 9 experience again.

Are there any kind souls out there who own any of these phones (or indeed any phone that runs Color OS / Oxygen OS / Lineage OS based on Android 9) who could do a quick experiment with the Tasker Custom Navigation bar and let me know how well it works for them? This will then help me decide which one(s) to go for.

Thanks for your time all!

Sharif

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020