AutoVoice Tip for dealing with the beep in continuous?

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by Rob Freundlich, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Rob Freundlich

Rob Freundlich New Member

I'm working on a continuous recognition app to use in my car, and of course it has the annoying beep whenever it's in recognition mode (no offense intended to Joao - I know it's not his fault). What do other folks do to deal with this?

The options I've thought of and rejected are:
    • Muting the audio stream. I rejected this because I often have music playing while I drive.
    • Requiring a button press to activate recognition. I rejected this because of driving safety issues. I could consider coming back to it, or something like it (maybe a very large button, or a screen swipe or waving gesture?)
    • Using Google Now integration. Unfortunately, my phone is a Galaxy Note 2, which has the annoying "feature" that turning on any accessibility integration also turns on TalkBack, which turns off various GN2 features such as Air View and Multi Window, AND makes the phone say out loud things like "Page loading" when loading a browser page. See http://developer.samsung.com/forum/thread/samsung-devices-and-accessibility-services/77/204387 for the lovely details. The upshot is that I can't actually use Google Now integration.

Also, I want my own UI, not Google Now's, so I don't think that'd work anyway, would it?
    Are there other workarounds? Has anyone ever tried hacking the voice recognition subsystem to take out the beep?

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hmmm how about enabling gesture mode (like this ) to start voice recognition with a simple swipe? This way you don't need any precise touches to get it started and shouldn't be unsafe :)

What do you think?

3. Rob Freundlich

That seems promising. I'll look into it.

Thanks!

4. easiuser

easiuser Member

Bluetooth button?

I use a long press of the play button on my Satechi bluetooth media button. You might also look into Flic bluetooth buttons.

You can mount any of these anywhere including your steering wheel. Should be as safe as using your turn signal.

5. Rob Freundlich

I don't have a BT headset. But the Flic looks pretty cool!

6. Rob Freundlich

I've decided to go with a tap on the background of my app. The display is going to be pretty sparse, so it ought to work (and will provide a nice large hit target).

If I end up with a more dense display, I'll look into a swipe or gesture.

7. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Member

I plan on getting Tasker on an Android car stereo. I will be using AV continuous. However I would love it if we were able to take out the beep and the Google listening box.