AutoVoice Voice to Tap

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by Martin Hack, May 20, 2016.

1. Martin Hack

Martin Hack New Member

Hi,

By way of introduction, I'm the father of a son who has lost the use of his limbs due to multiple brain tumors, and am looking for a way to have an ebook reader (PocketBooks) respond to his voice in order to turn pages, either forward or backward. The reader when run and a book chosen, waits for a right screen tap to advance a page, or a left screen tap to go to the previous page. If possible, the solution should be a set of vocal commands, such as "right or "left" which would advance or turn back a page.

What I need therefore is easily described, but seemingly requires voice triggers and macros. I'm not a programmer, and what I read about the process is seemingly complex for a beginner. I would hope that some guru or other would help, either describing the solution or pointing me in the right direction to solve it myself.

Thanks

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Thank you for posting this. Hopefully I can help you figure it out.

Just to clarify, is that ebook reader reading the text out loud? Or is your son reading the text himself?
    Thanks again

3. Martin Hack

Martin Hack New Member

The application is called Pocketbooks, and my son can read the text himself. It's not necessary for the text to be read aloud.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4. joaomgcd

Ok, so to know if this will work you first have to check if AutoInput can flip the pages for you. Are there on-screen buttons for changing pages? Can you try setting up an AutoInput action in Tasker with Easy setup and see if it works? Thanks

5. Martin Hack

Martin Hack New Member

Almost all the ebook readers for android just require taps along the right or left sides of the screen - no buttons.
    To get a feel for these applications why not install "Pocketbooks", which will give you a good feel for the application. I can set up the reader for my son, fonts etc, so that all he would have to do is say 'tap right' or 'tap left'. As I've said, I'm a novice and setting up an Autoinput action in Tasker would be daunting. At the present moment I'm 84 years old, and have had lots of programming experience in assembly language, basic, fortran, cobol etc, none of which help much - all languages take a goodly amount of time to master, and time is what I don't have now, what with all the care my son needs.

Quite frankly, I'm really surprised that nobody seems to have taken (up to now) the notion of voice to screen taps as a global macro.

Thanks

6. joaomgcd

7. Martin Hack

Martin Hack New Member

That's the one.
    Thanks

8. joaomgcd

Unfortunately I tried it out and AutoInput can't click on the app. :( You don't happen to have a Nexus device capable of upgrading to the Android N Beta do you? You can check here: https://www.google.com/android/beta?u=0

9. Martin Hack

Martin Hack New Member

Unfortunately I don't have a Nexus device, so the Android N solution won't work. I think that perhaps the Windows OS might provide a solution using its versions of voice input (voicebot), and setting up a system to control a Windows ebook reader. What this needs is a Win Tablet capable of running Win OS, which I unfortunately don't have.

In any event, thanks for all your help, and if any new ideas pop up please let me know.

Martin Hack

10. joaomgcd

Hmm.. Is your current device rooted by any chance?

11. Martin Hack

Martin Hack New Member

My current device is a Nook HD+, which is running an AFN OS (4.4.2). It's not rooted, and the OS resides on a flashdrive, allowing me to keep the Nook OS or the Android OS, which runs just about anything on Google Play.

12. Martin Hack

Martin Hack New Member

I';ve just rechecked and if anything would work with a rooted Nook HD+ I also have that option.

13. joaomgcd

14. Martin Hack

Martin Hack New Member

I see what you mean. However, you would still have to have voice input to activate tasker to play the screen tap macro. I still find myself mystified that so seemingly simple an operation cannot be dealt with.
    As I've stated before, all I need is a voice to tap macro that runs in the background while another application waits for a tap input. Sounds simple, and I wish I had enough knowledge to be able to do it!

15. joaomgcd

The voice part is certainly doable. :) I just wanted to make sure you would be able to automatically tap the screen before going into that.

To get the voice part working:
    • Enable AutoVoice continuous (either through the main app or from the Tasker action). This will make AutoVoice always listen in the background
    • Create a new profile with an AutoVoice recognized condition and set the command filter to "next page" (no quotes)
    • In the task run the macro to click the right part of the screen
    • also add a "Flash" action with the text "next page" just to make sure it's working
    • exit Tasker with the back button so everything's saved
    now when you say "next page" the right part of the screen should be clicked and the toast should appear :)
    Hope this helps

16. Martin Hack

Martin Hack New Member

Thanks joaomgcd. I now have Autovoice and Tasker (paid). I've been able to set Autovoice to continuous but am mystified by Tasker. I can get to the place where I can add a new profile, but can't seem to get any further. I'll keep trying, but any help, as usual, would be on the money.

In searching around the web I've found that Tasker has a code section where you can write a shell script based on screen locations. I've learned to get developer rights and supposedly I can write "input tap x y, for a point on the right side of the screen (http://www.pocketables.com/2013/07/how-to-emulate-touch-input-using-tasker-and-root.html). Take a look.

Thanks

17. joaomgcd

Oh, yeah! Totally forgot you can do that :) You're right!

If you can do that, try setting up a profile like this:
    If you can get that exact task to work with the popup and all, then try to add the input tap x y command after the popup and check if it clicks it correctly.

You're almost there :)

18. Martin Hack

Martin Hack New Member

A miss is as good as a mile! It's taken me many hours of just fooling around, and I still have a bit of trouble understanding the workflow necessary. This is where I am:
    1. Get autovoice running in the background.
    2. Set up a profile in Tasker for autovoice.
    3. Set up a task to input tap x y on the trigger from autovoice.
    4. Pray!

Thanks

19. joaomgcd

So you setup a profile similar to the one in the video? Did that work for you?

20. Martin Hack

Martin Hack New Member

Will get to that sometime today. I feel middling about my capabilities, but I guess I'll muddle through.

: voice tap