AutoNotification Work Profile Notifications on Smartwatch (Android Enterprise)

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by THerOfTime, Feb 10, 2020.

1. THerOfTime

THerOfTime New Member

First and foremost, awesome job on AutoNotification. I've been looking for something like this for ever, and am kicking myself for not finding this sooner.

TL;DR

I wonder if there's a way to filter notifications based on the user identity (Work or Personal Profile). I'm not seeing any obvious ways to do this.

Details

I'm using AutoNotification to forward notifications from work apps in the Work Profile to my Galaxy Watch Active 2. I have a Pixel, which does not populate apps from the Work Profile in the Galaxy Wearable notification settings.I've found that AutoNotification will pickup those notifications if i select the personal version of the app. I've setup a Tasker Profile to send notifications from some of my important work apps.

Instead of replacing the notifications all together, I've actually just created a duplicate that is auto dismissed in 30 seconds. This gives me a chance to check-out the notification on my watch, while not cluttering my notifications too much when i finally get to my phone.

Android Enterprise is a management framework Google built into the Android OS back around 5.1. It has been slowly adopted by Enterprises to managed Android devices. It has several different forms, with Work Profile being the more widely used. Work profile inflates a "Work Profile" on the device to house corporate data. Management configurations and controls can then be applied to the Work profile without affecting data/apps in the personal profile. It's great for BYOD. I think we'll see more of this in the future since Google is deprecating Device Admin.

Anyway, via ADB you can see that the Work Profile and its apps all belong to a "Work Profile" users.

example...
    adb shell pm list users
    UserInfo{0:Jay:13} running
    UserInfo{10:Work profile:30} running

It would be awesome to be able to filter based on this, or better yet, be able to select apps from either profile.

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

3. THerOfTime

THerOfTime New Member

Wow, that was fast.

I played with it a bit and was able to use the %anuserid variable to identify work notifications from those apps. So far i've just set an if statement in the Action, but will mess with it a bit more. I'm still new to Auto apps.

I didn't see an obvious way to filter by variable in the tasker profile so that only work profile apps are filtered. I'll do some more reading.

thanks!

4. joaomgcd

Ah yes, there's no way to filter in the profile directly, but in the task you can use the Stop action to stop the task if the user id doesn't match the one you need :)

5. THerOfTime

THerOfTime New Member

Awesome. I'll do that!

6. joaomgcd

Great! :)